Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dru Writes Too

DRUSILLA Are you lost?
BOY No. My mom's just supposed to pick me up is all.
DRUSILLA Do you want me to walk you home?
BOY No, thank you.
DRUSILLA My mummy used to sing me to sleep at night. Run and catch, run and catch, the lamb is caught in the blackberry patch...She had the sweetest voice. What will your mummy sing when they find your body?
BOY I'm not supposed to talk to people.
DRUSILLA Oh. Well, I'm not a person, see, so that's just...
ANGEL Run home.


Actress/director Juliet Landau, is co-writing Angel 24 and 25 with Brian Lynch two issues that will focus on her character, Drusilla from both Buffy and Angel fame. U.K. illustrator and Juliet's friend Sam Shearon created the above cover for issue 24, which I am quite fond of. Reminds me of some of Jo Chen's excellent artwork for Buffy Season 8. I love the way it suggests Dru's innocence on the left hand side, conveying her as someone beautiful to look at, but from a distance. On the right, her cage has been opened, and you see the inner demon. A simple image that is deliciously evocative. Via.

Speaking of Drusilla, who was given some of the most velvety, layered dialogue in the two series, I couldn't resist including these two sections of dialogue from the Season 2 episode of Buffy, "Lie to Me".

DRUSILLA You sing the sweetest little song. Won't you sing for me, hmm? Don't you love me anymore?...(to the bird) Come on. I'll pout...I'll give you a seed if you sing.
SPIKE The bird's dead, Dru. You left it in a cage, and you didn't feed it, and now it's all dead, just like the last one...Oh, I'm sorry baby. I'm a bad, rude man. I just don't like you goin' out, that's all. You are weak. Would you like a new bird? One that's not dead?

No comments: